Shopping on Instagram allows approved Instagram business profiles to tag products in posts. When you tag a product, Instagram users can view product details and tap a Shop Now button to buy the product on your site without leaving the app.
This is a great way to share products with followers and reach a wider audience through hashtag discovery. Once you’ve completed the setup process and are approved by Instagram, you can tag your products wherever they appear in your posts.
In this guide, we'll show you how to add HitPay Product Checkouts in your Facebook Business Manager account or edit existing checkout URLs for your existing Facebook Shop catalog Facebook Business Manager account and begin tagging products once Instagram approves your profile.
- Ensure your products follow Facebook's Commerce Policies and Instagram-Specific Policies.
- Your business must be located in one of Instagram's supported countries. For a current list, visit Instagram's documentation.
What you’ll need
To tag products on Instagram, you'll need all of the following:
- The most recent version of the Instagram app
- An Instagram business profile (Follow Step 1 to prepare your Instagram account)
- A Facebook Business Manager account
- A Facebook Page
- HitPay Checkouts created for physical products
- Instagram’s approval
Ensure that you follow the steps in the order listed in this guide. To avoid issues, the accounts need to be added in a specific order.
Note: Instagram, Facebook Business Manager, and the store approval process falls outside the scope of our support. This means we’re unable to help with setup, troubleshooting, or Instagram’s approval process.
Step 1 - Prepare your Instagram account
If you have a personal Instagram profile, continue to Step 2 in this guide.
If you have a business Instagram profile, revert it to a personal profile. (You’ll upgrade back to a business profile later in this process):
- In your Instagram profile settings, tap Switch back to personal account.
- Tap Switch Back to confirm.
Step 2 - Add your Facebook Page to Facebook Business Manager
To add your Facebook Page to your Facebook Business Manager:
- In your Facebook Business Manager account, click Business Settings.
- Under Accounts, click Pages.
- Click + Add.
- To add an existing Facebook Page, click Add a Page. To create a new page, click Create a New Page.
- Follow Facebook Business Manager’s instructions to complete the process.
Step 3 - Convert your personal Instagram profile to a business profile
Convert your personal Instagram profile to a business profile and reconnect your Facebook page:
- In your Instagram settings, scroll down and tap Switch to Business profile.
- Tap Continue until you reach the Connect to Facebook page.
- Tap Choose page.
- Select the Facebook Page you added to Facebook Business Manager.
- Tap Next.
- Add your phone number, and then tap Done.
Note: The Facebook Page you connect to your business Instagram account must be the same one you added to Facebook Business Manager.
Step 4 - Add your Instagram business profile to Facebook Business Manager
To add your Instagram business profile to your Facebook Business Manager:
- In your Facebook Business manager account, click Business Settings.
- Under Accounts, click Instagram Accounts.
- Click + Add.
- Enter your Instagram username and password.
- You don’t need to add accounts to complete this process. Click Skip.
- Click Done.
Step 5 - Add HitPay Checkout Products to Facebook Business Manager
1. Create a catalog in Facebook Business Manager
After setting up your accounts, create a catalog in your Facebook Business Manager account with the following steps:
- Log into the Facebook Business Manager account.
- Click the ☰ icon in the top-left corner.
- Under Assets, click Catalogs.
- Click Create Catalog.
- Select E-commerce and click Next.
3. Select Upload Product Info
4. Select the business your catalog will belong to.
5. Enter a name.
6. Click Create.
7. Add product information and detail.
8. Under Website Link, add the HitPay Checkout link for your product
9. Click on Add Product
Editing Checkout Links for Existing Facebook Product Catalogue
1. In your Facebook Pages account, click on Publishing Tools
2. Click on Shop>Products
3. Click on any of your existing Products
4. Click on edit on the left hand corner and add HitPay Checkout link under Checkout URL
5. Click Save
Step 6 - Wait for Instagram approval
Once you've correctly linked your Instagram business profile and Facebook Business Manager account and add your HitPay Checkout Inventory, Instagram will review your store.
There is no submit button or application—Instagram will automatically begin the review process once everything is set up correctly. This can take several days or longer and the timing is out of Squarespace's control. For more information, visit Instagram's documentation.
To see if your store is approved, in your Instagram account, click Settings, scroll down to Business Settings and click Shopping. If you've added multiple data sources, ensure the correct one is checked.
Step 7 - Tag products in Instagram
The option to tag products will now be available for every time you post and on your previous posts. To get started, create or edit an Instagram post, and click Tag Products. For help, visit Instagram's documentation.
New products added to your store will become taggable once they import to your catalog on the schedule you selected in Step 5.
If you can’t tag products, visit Instagram's I've connected my catalog to Instagram. Why can't I tag products in my posts? guide.
When you've tagged a product, a shopping bag icon appears on the post. Instagram users can click the post to view product tags, then click any product tag to view:
- A product photo
- Product name
- Price (if variants of the product have different prices, the lowest price will display.)
- A Shop Now button that opens the product on your site.