Here's a step-by-step guide on how to install and enable the HitPay plugin on WooCommerce for accepting in-person payments using a card reader.
Note: If you are looking for online payments, please refer to this guide.
When Is This Feature Useful?
- If you have an existing WooCommerce store and if your customers would also like to make in-person card payments.
- If you are using a POS plugin for your WooCommerce and would like to integrate a card reader into your POS. Works well with plugins like:
Before you can start using this plugin, you need to have the following in place:
- Create a HitPay Account
- Activate card payment methods
- Order and set up your WisePOS-E wifi card reader
Step 1. Install HitPay WooCommerce Plugin. Search for HitPay from the keyword search field and install the HitPay plugin:
Step 2. Once it's installed, click on WooCommerce > Settings > Payments > Manage next to the HitPay payment method:
Step 3. Copy your API keys from your HitPay dashboard:
Step 4. Connect Card Reader to Your WooCommerce Store
Now that you have completed your plugin setup, the next step would be to link the card reader to your WooCommerce plugin. To do this, all you need to do is copy the terminal ID from your HitPay dashboard and paste it into your WooCommerce plugin.
In your WooCommerce plugin settings, navigate to POS Payments and enable POS payments.
Navigate back to your HitPay dashboard and copy the terminal ID under Point of Sale > Terminals:
Paste the terminal ID under the Terminal Reader ID section and click Save Change:
When do I use the “Cashier E-mail” field?
The cashier's email is used to determine when to present the card reader option at the checkout:
- If the cashier's email is entered, the card reader option is only shown if the logged-in user is the cashier. This will also help to avoid showing the card reader option to your online checkout store users.
- If you have more than 1 POS setup in your physical store, the cashier email can be used to map the reader with the POS.
Step 5. Checkout with Card Reader
You will now see a new option Card Reader in your checkout page under the payments section. To complete your order, select Card Reader and click Place Order:
Checkout page that the cashier can see:
Once the payment has been accepted by the card reader, the order is complete and the transaction is processed:
Congratulations, your setup is now complete and your WooCommerce store is now integrated with the card reader! With this setup, your customers can enjoy a seamless checkout experience, and you can easily manage payments through your Hitpay dashboard.